Fly Fishing, Photography and Cultural Hosted Trip
Dates: February 7-14, 2019 | 7-night / 3-day guided fishing / 3-day cultural package
Cost Per Person: $4,805 per person. based on double occupancy / shared guide
Photography Instructor: Jess McGlothlin
Belize has long been one of my favorite destinations — it’s where I caught my first bonefish, and each time I return I fall more and more in love with the country. I’m pleased to be returning once more to Belize to teach this photography-fishing-cultural combination trip with Frontiers!
El Pescador always feels like coming home; after visiting lodges around the world, it remains one of my favorite destinations. The staff feels like family, the accommodations are comfortable and the rooms (and three pools!) are the perfect respite after a long day chasing sport fish on the flats. We’ll enjoy three days of guided fishing, where those who are interested in the photography aspect of the trip can shoot “on assignment” while they trade shots with their boat mate.
After three days of fishing at El Pescador, we’ll travel south to the luxurious jungle escape of Copal Tree Lodge (formerly Belcampo Lodge) for three days of cultural adventures and photography instruction (optional). We’ll explore local villages, snorkel with the lodge chef, make our own chocolate bars from home-grown cacao beans, all the while enjoying the lodge’s fine dining and well- appointed rooms.
There’s something special about Belize that continues to draw me back. Join me for a week of fly fishing, hands-on photography instruction and cultural adventures — and watch yourself fall in love with Belize! I look forward to seeing you there.
School Itinerary and Daily Schedule:
• Thursday, February 7: El Pescador Resort Arrive at Philip Goldson International Airport, transfer via Tropic Air for a 15-minute flight to San Pedro. Upon arrival at San Pedro, you will be met by a representative from El Pescador Resort, who will escort you to the Resort via a 10-minute boat ride. In the evening, we will meet for a meet-and-greet and discuss the plan for the week, including an introduction to the photography aspect of the trip for those interested.
• Friday, February 8 - Sunday, February 10: El Pescador Resort Early morning breakfast — bring your fishing and photography gear, ready to go! Meet your guide; they will help you review your gear and ensure you have everything set up and ready to go for a day in the boat. Fishing during the day: work on your photography assignment while chasing saltwater species under the careful eye of El Pescador’s guides. Those who have chosen to not fish are welcome to enjoy the Resort, snorkel nearby or explore the local town of San Pedro. Boat lunch. Return to El Pescador mid-afternoon; shower, relax and review your images from the day. In the evening, we will gather for cold drinks, appetizers and a review of the day. Receive tomorrow’s photography assignment after we talk about the day’s fishing and photography. Evening dinner, drinks and relax; order your boat lunch for tomorrow morning.
• Monday, February 11: El Pescador Resort and Copal Tree Lodge Pack your bags and enjoy an early breakfast at El Pescador, then transfer by boat to San Pedro Airport for your mid-morning flight via Tropic Air’s 50-minute flight. Transfer to Belize City, and then onto Copal Tree Lodge. Upon arrival at Copal Tree, settle into your luscious jungle room, grab a quick lunch at the Lodge and relax — this is the perfect time for a swim in the jungle side pool or a quick nap! This is also a great time to schedule an optional spa treatment for that afternoon’s downtime. In the evening, we will gather for cold drinks, appetizers and a review of the day. Receive tomorrow’s photography assignment after we discuss the day’s travel photography. Evening dinner, drinks and relax.
• Tuesday, February 12: Copal Tree Lodge Today we’ll enjoy a relaxing breakfast at the Lodge before departing for the “Snorkel with the Chef Experience.” This guided day cruise to the Gulf of Honduras takes place on a quiet, comfy river boat with seating for eight. We’ll start the morning from the dock and proceed down the river to one of our local cayes, where you’ll enjoy snorkeling in the warm, clear Caribbean Sea. You’ll see an impressive array of sea life and coral while the crew dives for conch, lobster, crab and possibly lionfish, an invasive species we eradicate by eating! The shaded river cruiser is outfitted with tables and benches, as well as easy access steps into the water, so you can spend as much time as you wish onboard, in the sun, or in the water. After snorkeling, the onboard barman will mix you a tropical drink or offer you a cold Belikin beer or glass of crisp white wine. Excursion includes marine reserve park fees, fins and snorkels, lunch and all beverages. Upon return to the Lodge, we’ll take time to refresh and look through our images before reconvening for cold drinks, appetizers and a review of the day. You’ll receive tomorrow’s photography assignment after we talk about that day’s photography experience.
• Wednesday, February 13: Copal Tree Lodge After our relaxing breakfast at the Lodge, we’ll head out for a half-day adventure to the local village and ancient Mayan Ruins of Lubaantun. We’ll pass through several villages on our way to the Ruins, where we’ll explore, take photos and enjoy the surrounding jungle. We’ll stop at Coleman’s Café for some authentic local cuisine before returning to Copal Tree. Upon return to the Lodge, we’ll join in on a Bean-to-Bar Chocolate Class, offering a very unique opportunity to understand and participate in the entire process of transforming high-quality organic cacao into chocolate.
Afterward, enjoy a few hours of downtime. This is the perfect opportunity to enjoy a treatment at Copal Tree’s luxurious spa, take a swim in the pool, grab a kayak and explore the nearby Rio Grande River, or simply kick back and enjoy a nap in your room! Don’t forget to take a little time to review your photos for the evening workshop! In the evening, we’ll meet one final time to look at photos from the day, talk travel photography and answer any lingering questions. Enjoy a relaxed dinner at the Lodge, and your final night in the Belizean jungle. Prepare for tomorrow’s flight home.
• Thursday, February 14: Say goodbye to Belize! We’ll enjoy a final breakfast at Copal Tree Lodge before transferring to the Punta Gorda airport and boarding our Tropic Air flight to Belize City. From Belize City, everyone will board for their flights back home!
This trip is a fantastic value and a chance to learn from an award-winning international fly-fishing / travel photographer (and get in a bit of world-class fishing on the side).
Read the full details in the trip brochure here, or give me a shout for more information!